- A note from the editor: LDS Today becomes Church of Jesus Christ Today
Ever since President Russell M. Nelson asked the members of the Church to drop monikers for the name of the Church such as "LDS" and "Mormon," I have felt a need to change the name of LDS Today to Church of Jesus Christ Today. I am making that change today. The site was also in need of a major update, which is also being unveiled today. The new design gives the site a fresher look, and also makes it much more visually appealing and user-friendly on mobile devices.
- NAACP, Latter-day Saints leaders: We must link arms to confront racial injustice together (USA Today)
We met for the first time two years ago. The occasion was a simple conversation between leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That unlikely meeting was a first. But it sparked insights about ways to work together to improve self-reliance and upward mobility for inner-city and minority families.
- Joseph Freeman, first black to receive LDS priesthood, reflects on race relations (Daily Herald – Utah)
Forty-two years ago this week, the world of Joseph Freeman took a drastic turn that he believes will affect his eternity. Tuesday is the 42nd anniversary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints officially announcing that all worthy male members of the church could receive the priesthood and all worthy men and women could receive the blessings of the temple.
- Sister Harkness on women and priesthood — Blessings from priesthood covenants (Church News)
One Sunday, many years ago, as I headed out of the Church building to go home, I stopped to greet a woman I didn’t recognize. At the time, I had no idea I was about to have an experience that would continue to influence me to this day.
- ‘Brief Theological Introductions’: How the Book of Mormon teaches community, faith, forgiveness and more (Church News)
In writing about the book of Ether in the Book of Mormon, Rosalynde Frandsen Welch noticed a contrast between the ancient people known as Jaredites and the primary Book of Mormon civilization, the Nephites.
- LDS church preparing for demolition (Appeal Democrat – California)
With the groundbreaking on a new temple planned for next month, work has been ongoing to prepare The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ meetinghouse along Butte House Road in Yuba City for demolition.
- Lee’s Summit prepares to launch planning to develop 4,200 acres owned by Mormon church (Kansas City Business Journal – Missouri)
Lee's Summit and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are in talks over what to do with 6.55 square miles the church owns within city limits. The acreage is distributed across a 1,100-acre northern property and another 3,100-acre tract to the south.